Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Messiah and the Covenants of Israel (Continued)

The Davidic Covenant (Continued)


The Confirmation of the Covenant

Before David died he referred to the Covenant declaring that although he had not lived a blameless life, nevertheless the Covenant stood inviolate. “He has made with me an everlasting covenant, Ordered in all things and secure.” (2 Sam. 23:5) Then again, the writer of Psalm 89 revels in the promises of God, especially those made to David. “I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever; With my mouth will I make known Your faithfulness to all generations. For I have said, “Mercy shall be built up forever; Your faithfulness You shall establish in the very heavens.” “I have made a covenant with My chosen, I have sworn to My servant David: ‘Your seed I will establish forever, And build up your throne to all generations.’”  (Ps. 89:1-4)

 Then again in vv. 34-37: My covenant I will not break, Nor alter the word that has gone out of My lips. Once I have sworn by My holiness; I will not lie to David: His seed shall endure forever, And his throne as the sun before Me; It shall be established forever like the moon, Even like the faithful witness in the sky.” [1]

 Solomon succeeded David and the Temple was built on a sacred site in Jerusalem. By the time we come to the reign of Hezekiah the theology of the Davidic Covenant was well established. The covenant promise to David was then wider, larger and clearly indicated a future occupant of the throne who would own names that, in the Hebrew culture, transcend any that an earthly potentate might possess.  “For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of His government and peace There will be no end, Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom, To order it and establish it with judgment and justice From that time forward, even forever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this”. (Isa. 9:6-7)

 Jeremiah, who prophesied at a particularly difficult time, when the immediate future of Israel was under threat had a further message. The terms of the Land Covenant were soon to be invoked, and Israel would be exiled for disobedience and apostasy. It was at that time that he looked into the farther future and wrote: “Behold, the days are coming,” says the Lord, “That I will raise to David a Branch of righteousness; A King shall reign and prosper, And execute judgment and righteousness in the earth. In His days Judah will be saved, And Israel will dwell safely; Now this is His name by which He will be called: THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS. “Therefore, behold, the days are coming,” says the Lord, “that they shall no longer say, ‘As the Lord lives who brought up the children of Israel from the land of Egypt,’ but, ‘As the Lord lives who brought up and led the descendants of the house of Israel from the north country and from all the countries where I had driven them.’ And they shall dwell in their own land.” (Jer. 23:5-8)

 Here he combined the two covenants, the Land Covenant and the Davidic Covenant, and while it is clear that the return from the Babylonian captivity is the immediate fulfillment of some of this prophecy, in common with many prophecies, it would need a further fulfillment in the farther future. The essence of this is repeated at 33.14-17. This prophet, much maligned by his contemporaries and facing the future with the knowledge that the power of the Davidic throne was to be broken by the Chaldean invaders, nevertheless had complete confidence in the covenant promise of God. He offered this assurance. “Thus says the Lord: ‘If you can break My covenant with the day and My covenant with the night, so that there will not be day and night in their season, then My covenant may also be broken with David My servant, so that he shall not have a son to reign on his throne …’ Thus says the Lord: ‘If My covenant is not with day and night, and if I have not appointed the ordinances of heaven and earth, then I will cast away the descendants of Jacob and David My servant, so that I will not take any of his descendants to be rulers over the descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. For I will cause their captives to return, and will have mercy on them.’ ” (Jer. 33:19-26)

 While day and night remain, the Jewish nation is secure and the Covenant with David stands. Amos also gave the same assurance. “On that day I will raise up The tabernacle of David, which has fallen down, And repair its damages; I will raise up its ruins, And rebuild it as in the days of old; (Amos 9:11)

Next Time: The Davidic Covenant - Its Purpose and Effect



[1] See also Ps.132.11 ff

No comments:

Post a Comment