Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Messiah and the Covenants of Israel (Continued)

The Messiah and the Land Covenant (Continued)


The Return of the Jews to the Land
 

The obedience to the Law that was required was always predicated on faith. Mechanical obedience was never acceptable to the Lord. Not unsurprisingly, their historical obedience was never perfect and when the quality of that obedience dropped to unacceptable levels there would be a word from the throne via a prophetic spokesman to indicate an exile of the people. An examination of texts in the T’nach suggests there would be at least three dispossessions[1] and three restorations.[2] Of those, the three dispossessions have been fulfilled, so also the first and second restorations; the final restoration for which the nation waits is yet future.
 
Since the final return to the Land is conditioned on faith in God, then it will only take place when the nation accepts Jesus as their Messiah and are regenerated. It is true that there has been a return to the Land in the 20th century, but the numbers have been relatively small, and the bulk of the population have returned in unbelief, that is, they are still not followers of Jesus, the Messiah of Israel. Therefore, they do not qualify for the full restoration of the Land. This waits for the nation as a whole to repent, embrace God’s offer of mercy, and enjoy the benefits that the New Covenant can bring to them. Only then will they occupy the territory designated in the Abrahamic Covenant which at that time will be restored to full fruitfulness.
 
Here are one or two Scriptures relating to this:

1.                  The final regathering will be when Israel returns in faith. Moses spoke of it: But if they confess their iniquity and the iniquity of their fathers, with their unfaithfulness in which they were unfaithful to Me, and that they also have walked contrary to Me  … then I will remember My covenant with Jacob, and My covenant with Isaac and My covenant with Abraham I will remember; I will remember the land …when they are in the land of their enemies, I will not cast them away, nor shall I abhor them, to utterly destroy them and break My covenant with them; for I am the Lord their God. But for their sake I will remember the covenant of their ancestors, whom I brought out of the land of Egypt in the sight of the nations, that I might be their God: I am the Lord.” (Lev. 26:40-45)

2.                  It will be a total regathering. Isaiah described it: “Fear not, for I am with you; I will bring your descendants from the east, And gather you from the west; I will say to the north, ‘Give them up!’ And to the south, ‘Do not keep them back!’ Bring My sons from afar, And My daughters from the ends of the earth— Everyone who is called by My name, Whom I have created for My glory; I have formed him, yes, I have made him.” (Isa. 43:5-7)

3.                  The Land will be restored to its former glory. “‘I will bring back the captives of My people Israel; They shall build the waste cities and inhabit them; They shall plant vineyards and drink wine from them; They shall also make gardens and eat fruit from them. I will plant them in their land, And no longer shall they be pulled up From the land I have given them,’ Says the Lord your God.” (Amos 9:14-15)

4.                  God will be a shepherd to Israel. “‘Hear the word of the Lord, O nations, And declare it in the isles afar off, and say, ‘He who scattered Israel will gather him, And keep him as a shepherd does his flock.’” (Jer. 31:10)

Next Time: The Messiah and the Davidic Covenant



[1] cf.  Gen.15.13,14,16; Jer.25.11,12; Deut.28.63-68 with Deut. 30.1-3
[2] cf. Gen.15.14 with Josh.1.2-7; Dan.9.2 with Jer.25.11,12; Deut. 30.3; Jer. 23.5-8; Exek.37.21-25; Acts 15.14-17

No comments:

Post a Comment